• Prep Time: 15 min
• Cook Time: 18 min
• Ready in: 33 min
• Yield: 8 muffins
For the carrot muffins:
• 1 1/4 cups (125 grams) blanched almond flour
• 2 tablespoons (16 grams) coconut flour
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 2 large eggs, room temperature
• 1/3 cup (75 grams) refined coconut oil, melted (if you use unrefined coconut oil there may be some coconut taste to the muffins)
• 1/3 cup (106 grams) honey
• 2 teaspoons vanilla
• 1/2 cup (50 grams) grated carrots
For the cream cheese frosting: (for paleo / dairy-free, use a half batch of vegan “cream cheese” frosting)
• 2 ounces (56 grams) cream cheese
• 4 teaspoons maple syrup
• 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
• a dash of salt
• additional milk for thinning, if desired
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a muffin tin with 8 muffin liners.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (almond flour through nutmeg). Set this aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, oil, honey, and vanilla.
4. Add the dry mix to the wet mix just until combined and then gently fold in the grated carrots.
5. Divide the batter evenly among the liners and bake for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
6. Let the muffins cool for 5 minutes in the pan and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Do not frost until completely cool!
7. For the cream cheese frosting, mix everything together until thoroughly combined. If it’s too thick for your liking, add a teaspoon of milk at a time until it’s your desired consistency.
8. Spread a thin layer on top of each cupcake or pipe it on.